I’m not hugely one for New Year’s Resolutions, but I thought it might be a good idea to keep a monthly log of the various reading challenges I’m doing. This way I have a bit of accountability! I’ll aim to have these up on the 1st of each month.
Goodreads Reading Challenge
I’ve rather optimistically set this at 365 books, which would be the equivalent of reading a book a day! There are definitely days I won’t achieve this, but I’m hoping that the days that I read more than one book will balance them out.
My Owned TBR
As of January 1st, my TBR page stands at 395 books – more than I can read in a year! I’d like to cut this down by 20 books each month, if I can. Not a no-buy, but definitely more read than bought!
26 of my 55 NetGalley books are overdue. I’d like to at least halve this!
Beat The Backlist
I’m taking part in Beat the Backlist 2019, competing for Slytherin! You can find out more about this challenge at Novel Knight – essentially, you can read any book as long as it’s a backlist title (so published in 2018 or earlier). I have a lot of new releases I’m looking forward to this year, but also a lot to catch up on, so I think this is a good challenge for me!
I’m on a whole bunch of blog tours this month! Look out for:
9th: The Girl King review
11th: Blackberry and Wild Rose review
14th: An open letter to Tamora Pierce, for CCHYA Fest
15th: The Uncompromising Lord Flint review
17th: The Ring of Gilly Wood review
20th: The Hairy Hand review
21st: The Earl’s Irresistible Challenge review
So a real mix! Some MG, some fantasy, some romance, and some historical fiction.
And now, what you’ve all been waiting for…
I don’t like to set a rigid TBR, as I am very much a mood reader, but here are a few books I’m hoping to get to this month!
- I loved Patrick Samphire’s The Dinosaur Hunters and Spy in the Deep, so I’m really excited to try his other series set on Mars with The Secrets of the Dragon Tomb.
- Still have a soft spot for witchy MG, so Twister, A Hat Full of Sky, and A Witch Alone are all going to be hits for me, I think!
- Georgia from The Bookish Gurl sent me Shimmer and Burn as a Christmas present, and I can’t wait to read it. It’s so pretty, too.
- I’ve been meaning to read Lancelot for so long, as the author really kindly sent it to me for review, but it’s such a chonk I’ve not been able to make time for it yet. This is a high priority for me to read this month!
- Literally cannot wait to crack on with The Gutter Prayer before release date on the 17th. I’ve heard nothing but good things.
- The Familiars is probably going to be one of my favourite reads of the whole year, so I’m looking forward to snuggling up one afternoon and reading the whole thing in one sitting.
- I absolutely loved The Eye of the World, which I finally read a couple of months ago for the first time. The Great Hunt is the second book in the series.
- I received Botanical Folk Tales for Christmas, and it combines two of my favourite things, so this will be a great read – plus, folk tales are easy palate cleansers between bigger books.
- Enchantée, oh, Enchantée. I’m so excited for this. I loved the sampler I read – the writing and the setting are so very up my street!
- I begged for an early copy of Asha and the Spirit Bird because I would have killed as a child to have a heroine who shared my name! This Indian-inspired MG fantasy looks wonderful.
- I am going to set aside a whole day to finish up Empire of Sand. I keep stopping myself from reading it because I want to focus completely on the beautiful language and give the story the brain space it deserves, so this is one I’m going to properly devote myself to reading carefully.
- I’m halfway through the first book in The Dark Vault bind up – it’s so unique and exciting. Can’t wait to finish it up.
- Tuesdays at the Castle is the beginning of a new-to-me series by one of my favourite MG authors, Jessica Day George. I have the second book in the series waiting too.
- Seafire has girl pirates. Enough said, really.
I also have plenty of other books to be getting on with, but let’s see how the month goes!
Are you in favour of a monthly goal post as well as my usual reviews? Let me know if you do something similar!